Choose one question, and answer it as comprehensively and using as much specific historical evidence as possible.
1. Recount two incidents from Fighting and Writing that struck you as significant, and describe what you learned from each of them.
2. Based on Fighting and Writing, do you believe the Bush War was winnable for Rhodesia and Rhodesians? If so, how? If not, why not?
3. Describe one tactic or strategy from the Bush War that you regard as successful and effective. Describe another tactic or strategy that you regard as unsuccessful and ineffective.
4. We learn a lot about the Selous Scouts in Fighting and Writing. What was the greatest strength of the Scouts, in your view? What was their greatest weakness?
5. The movie Blind Justice sheds light on race relations and political conflict in Rhodesia during the era of white rule. Describe three incidents from the movie that illustrate these themes.
6. Pick one character from Fighting and Writing whom you view positively, and one whom you view negatively. Use specific examples from the book to explain your feelings towards these figures.
7. Describe one aspect of Blind Justice that you regard as historically accurate, and describe one that you believe is historically implausible.
8. The United States took something of a neutral stance in the struggle to end apartheid and the effort to end white minority rule in Rhodesia, despite the fact that the black nationalists were directly supported by the Soviet Union and communist China. Was this the right decision or a mistake?