PLEASE Review the assignment description below.
Note that 4-5 references in body of text and separate reference page is required. If you choose all 3-4 topics/issues from the same source/textbook this = ONE reference.
This Essential Essay is an opportunity to reflect and identify topics you believe are important for ELL instruction.
You can think of it as a written rehearsal for a job interview, since it is without question that you will be asked about your instructional plans for addressing English Language Learners modification needs to support their academic success.
PLEASE use the provided essay template, the idea is to provide the reader with a patterned text that is easy for them to navigate.
Essential Essay (25 points; due 12/05). Respond to the following prompt:
How can classrooms be structured so that all students, including those who are English Language Learners, access rigorous standards, demonstrate their learning across the curriculum, and achieve excellence?
There is no one “correct” answer. A sample essay with notations (do’s/don’ts) is posted on CANVAS.
You choose 3-4 topics/issues that you believe are the most important and relevant for providing appropriate instruction to ELLs.
1. Review your own DB posts to identify the features that are most relevant to your situation, perspective, priorities.
2. See Essential Essay Samples in CANVAS/Assignments Tab.
3. In a way, the essay is a “written rehearsal” of your answers to a question that will certainly be asked in a job interview. So, make sure to make your application of the strategy/topic/issue specific to a grade level, content area, etc.
1. Use the writing template provided in the samples to organize each paragraph to maintain a predictable paragraph pattern that potential readers (instructor, potential employer/principal, etc.) can easily follow (see, “do’s and don’ts in blackboard/assignment tab/essential essay folder).
2. Use the writing template provided in the samples to organize the entire essay to maintain an organized text that potential readers (instructor, potential employer/principal, etc.) can easily follow (see, “do’s and don’ts in Canvas /assignment tab/essential essay folder)
3. Essential Essay – Resources
You may select any 3-4 topics, issues, strategies or concepts that you find particularly useful/compelling/important in your planning and providing appropriate instruction for EL students.
3a. 50 strategies textbook and DB #10
3b. Fairbairn & Jones textbook and DB #3-#7
3c. Gibbons Textbook any concepts from chapter/quizzes
3d. DLE 915A power point slides/Weekly Sessions
4. Essential Essay grading/ rubric (see full rubric on CANVAS also attached)
Rubric indicates required 4-5 references/resources BOTH in the body of the text and reference page:
If you select all you topics from the same textbook that is = ONE reference.
To bolster your references:
by directly citing the resource, textbook, video for each issue/topic
by adding a general comment/introduction or direct quote from an article, etc. (cite reference)
by including the theoretical grounding for each of the issues/topics (cite references)
by adding relevant research studies on the issue/topic (cite reference)