- FS205-3: Examine how ethics applies to fire and emergency service leadership.
- GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
Read the following scenario.
Captain Johnson is in charge of Station 9, located on the outskirts of the city, where only a few calls for service occur each shift. Captain Johnson is a 20-year veteran and is well liked by his subordinates at Station 9.
Captain Johnson believes he has put in his time on the job and it is up to the “go-getters” to shine now. As such, he believes in getting his responsibilities done with the least amount of effort possible and does not seek out any extra duties for his station. As a result, his subordinates like him. In addition, Captain Johnson disregards department policies on uniform compliance, tardiness, and down time versus work time. He even allows firefighters to sleep during the middle of the shift and has faked documents for company drills that did not occur to satisfy training requirements.
The temporary personnel who fill in at the station during vacations and other types of leave complain that Captain Johnson is lazy and does not do anything while they are assigned to Station 9. Other personnel in the department call Station 9 a retirement community.
Write a 750-1000 word informative paper discussing Captain Johnson’s leadership style and the impact it has on the station and its crew members.
Include the following in your paper:
- Define the term ‘ethical leadership” and what happens in the absence of competent leadership.
- What type of leadership style does Captain Johnson exhibit? Explain why.
- Describe three ways Captain Johnson is letting down his subordinates.
- What are the ethical obligations Captain Johnson has as a fire officer that he is not meeting?
- What sort of attitudes would you expect Captain Johnson’s subordinates to have about their house culture and specifically about him as a leader?
- Include a minimum of two credible external resources other than the textbook.