Hermunculus Article Questions
NOTE: Be sure to turn in article questions in APA format professionally , complete with title page and reference
page. If in doubt, see the tutorial video in Week One for guidance.
Article retrieved from http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/5/1005.long
1. Why do you suppose Penfield did not publish or discuss the measurements he took on
2. Read the paragraph after the An Early Case Study title on page 1006 with the eyes of a
feminist (someone who champions equality between men and women). What is your
3. Additionally, Penfields patients had epilepsy, a condition which might have led to a
remapping of various cortical areas (p. 1010). Does this statement negate all of
Penfields findings regarding the somatosensory homunculus? Explain.
4. If a somatosensory map were to be created that solely dealt with female anatomy, how
many times do you feel this map would need to be generated? Do you feel that these
locations would be rewired after life exposure?
5. What are the implications of this article?
6. For each class in which I require article questions, I ask that you identify words in the
article that you are unfamiliar with. The goal is to help build your vocabulary which is
helpful in life and, especially, for the Graduate Record Examination (should you decide
to take it in the future). Please complete this portion even if you feel you know all the
words in the article. It is good practice. Also, be sure to provide a reference, both in-text
and on the reference page, for where you found the information. Identify 5 words that
you are unfamiliar with and provide a definition for each.