POS 2041 American National Government Research Project
Module Learning Objectives
1 Complete a research project related to one of the Standard Course objectives. (CO 3, 4, or 5)
2 Analyze the influences on American National Government in policy decisions. (CO 5)
3 Demonstrate proper application of APA formatting and reference documentation. (CO 6)
Part 2: Analysis Paper - 100 points (1,000 Words)
Analysis of issue of concern – This is the main step in completing this assignment and actively engaging as a citizen.
In APA research paper format, clearly articulate an issue of concern that is important to you and within the authority of the United States Congress. Explain your concern, using your research and explain Congress’ authority to address this issue. What action would you like to see your Representative or Senator and the Congress as a whole take in this matter. Include in your discussion the obstacles to the outcome you are seeking. For examples of topics you can check ProCon.org. But the topic MUST be federal (national), NOT state or local.
Review the Federalism chapter in your textbook for sources federal authority, ie. Constitutional authority and through the use of federal grants and legislation. Please support your position with in-text citations from your sources.
**Per APA research paper guidelines, include title page, (no abstract), a references sheet and an annotated bibliography section to your research paper.**
Check the following links for examples of APA format, including citations and annotated bibliography. Use the SPC Library for research and citation help.
***Please review the following guidelines and requirements in preparing your paper.***
• Look over the Research Project Grading Rubric to understand how you will be scored.
• APA Research Analysis, including proper in-text citations and reference list.
◦ Use the SPC Library APA Citation Assistance page for help with APA formatting
◦ You cannot cite the American government textbook we are using.
◦ If you have extensive citations from one source, you will have to rewrite the paper. Remember, at least five sources used throughout the paper.
◦ The following are NOT acceptable forms of sources: non-research based sources (Wikipedia, ProCon, etc); legislation; personal interviews, statements on television, radio, and in videos or movies.
• At least 1,000 words or five pages in length, 12 point traditional font.
• A minimum of 5 relevant and legitimate sources, documented within the paper and properly cited in a reference list AND summarized separately in an annotated bibliography section.
• Clear application of research to the assignment requirements.
• Well organized paragraphs, clear and complete sentence structure, proper word usage and grammar.
• The Research Papers need to be submitted to the Research Paper Dropboxes (Part 1 and Part 2). Please do not email your document.
The rewording of someone else’s work and submitting it as your work without giving credit to the author is plagiarism. Such work will not be graded. It will be returned for rewrite. If this occurs, you will be given one week to submit the rewrite. Any thoughts, passages, ideas, and words of another should be documented appropriately in parenthetical citations and a reference page. The Part 1 and Part 2 Dropboxes utilize Turnitin.com to help detect plagiarism.