For your Fiction Critique, choose from one of the stories in this section that you’ve read and ONE of the topics below:
Interpretation of Fiction Question Prompts
1. Describe a character who has an important decision to make. Identify the character’s situation, explain the reasons for his or her decision, and speculate about the possible consequences.
2. Explicate the opening sentences or paragraph of any story. Explain the significance of the opening section in establishing the story’s tone, announcing its theme, or otherwise preparing the reader for what follows.
3. Explicate the closing sentences or paragraph of any story. Explain the significance of the conclusion, commenting on its effectiveness as an ending or how it relates to the rest of the story.
4. Select two or three brief passages from a story and explain their significance. Consider how the passages may be related.
5. Analyze the plot of a story. Comment on its organization or structure. How is the plot designed to affect readers’ responses? Notice whether the incidents are presented in chronological order or whether chronology is violated and, if so, for what purpose.
6. Analyze the setting of a story. Consider both the time and the place of its action. Also consider small scale aspects of setting such as whether or not the action take place indoors or out. If indoors, what room does the action occur in—and why? Notice any significant changes in setting.